
Escape to Paradise: Misty Mountain Lodge, Naro Moru, Kenya - Unforgettable Luxury Awaits
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the misty embrace of Escape to Paradise: Misty Mountain Lodge, Naro Moru, Kenya. Forget perfectly polished travel brochures – this is the real deal, warts and all. Prepare for a bumpy, beautiful ride.
**(SEO Stuff: *Misty Mountain Lodge Naro Moru Review, Kenya Luxury Hotel, Wheelchair Accessible Kenya, Spa Hotels Kenya, Mount Kenya Accommodation, Naro Moru Hotels, Romantic Getaway Kenya, Family Friendly Hotels Kenya, Accessible Travel Kenya, Best Hotels Kenya*)
Right, let's be honest, I went in expecting… well, a bit of a clichĂ©. Luxury lodges in Kenya can sometimes feel a bit… staged. But Misty Mountain Lodge? This place genuinely gets it. It’s not just slapping on the "luxury" label; it's genuinely trying to build something special.
First Impressions… and the Tiny Blip
Okay, so navigating Naro Moru is a bit of an adventure in itself. Think narrow, winding roads, and then, a sudden, breathtaking view of Mount Kenya. The journey to the lodge? That's where the magic begins, which means the accessibility is… well, a little "Kenyan." It's not exactly a flat, paved paradise. Accessibility is listed, and from what I saw of the main lodge area itself, there is a ramp near the entrance and elevator to the rooms, as well as a few designated parking spots, though I didn’t thoroughly explore the full extent of all the rooms, but if you’re dependent on a wheelchair, it would be best to call them directly as the winding roads might be a challenge. But the actual lodge? My initial wanderings suggested some thought went into it. But, as someone who’s had to wrestle a suitcase up a crumbling flight of stairs, I know that "accessible" can sometimes mean "accessible-ish." So, call ahead, ask specific questions. Don’t just rely on the website.
But, oh man, that view. Mount Kenya doesn't just sit there; it dominates. It's like a silent, majestic giant, constantly watching. And the lodge is perfectly positioned to drink it all in.
The Room: My Tiny, Personal Paradise (and a minor "whoopsie")
My room was… chef's kiss. Available in all rooms are goodies: air conditioning, alarm clock, bathrobes, bath tub, blackout curtains, closet, coffee/tea maker (hallelujah!), complimentary tea, desk, extra long bed, free bottled water, hair dryer, in-room safe box, internet access-wireless, ironing facilities, laptop workspace, linens, mini bar, mirror, non-smoking, private bathroom, reading light, refrigerator, satellite/cable channels, seating area, separate shower/bathtub, shower, slippers, smoke detector, socket near the bed, sofa, soundproofing, telephone, toiletries, towels, umbrella, wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], window that opens, additional toilet, carpeting, interconnecting room(s), smoke alarm, and scale. I threw myself onto the bed. Seriously, the bed was like sinking into a cloud. It's the kind of bed that makes you want to abandon all your plans and just… be. The free Wi-Fi was strong enough to (mostly) handle my incessant Instagram posting. And the daily housekeeping? Immaculate. They didn’t just clean the room, they polished it. It felt pristine after each return.
Now, the "whoopsie." I'm a hot shower addict. On my first night? No hot water. Cue a small internal meltdown, followed by a sheepish call to reception. Turns out, a minor glitch. Within minutes, a friendly staff member was on the case, problem solved, and a sincere apology was issued. Things happen. What mattered was the rapid response and genuine care. It’s a detail worth mentioning because it reflects on the kind of service this place wants to deliver.
Dining: A Symphony of Flavors (and a Vegetarian Win!)
Okay, let's talk food. Holy. Moly. The restaurants offered a diverse range of choices, from the A la carte to the buffet. I'm a vegetarian, and sometimes, that means a life of bland salads and beige sides. Not here! The vegetarian restaurant options were plentiful, inventive, and delicious. Seriously, the chef gets it. The Asian cuisine and International cuisine were also top-notch. And the desserts? Prepare to loosen your belt. The breakfast buffet had me giddy with joy. The coffee/tea in restaurant was decent, and there was also a coffee shop. The poolside bar was the perfect place to nurse a sundowner (they do a mean cocktail!). The snack bar was great for mid-afternoon hunger pangs. My only minor complaint? The soup in restaurant was a bit bland, but it's only one dish, and I am being extremely picky.
Things to Do and Ways to Relax: Finding Your Bliss
This is where Misty Mountain Lodge really shines. Spa/sauna? Check. They had a full spa with offerings like body scrub and body wraps. I indulged in a massage – pure bliss. They also had a fitness center and a pool with a view . They also have a nice steam room. Just imagine, soaking in a pool with that epic mountain as your backdrop. Pure magic.
The lodge also offers a bunch of activities. Hiking, bird watching, and tours of the area are all on the menu. You can just chill, read a book, and soak up the views. The terrace is an excellent spot to do this. Though I'm not much of an outdoorsy type, I did enjoy the feeling of just being surrounded by nature. The shrine was nice and the hotel offers meeting/banquet facilities as well as facilities for business. There were also business facilities and meeting stationery!
Safety and Cleanliness: Peace of Mind
In these times, safety and cleanliness are paramount. Misty Mountain Lodge takes this seriously. They had anti-viral cleaning products in use, daily disinfection in common areas, and rooms sanitized between stays. There were also hand sanitizers everywhere, and staff were all trained on safety protocol. The dining setup was also designed for safety, with a safe dining setup and sanitized kitchen and tableware items. They had a cashless payment service which streamlined things. It gave me peace of mind knowing that their hygiene certification was legit, that they are using sterilizing equipment, and that the staff was actually caring about it.
The Little Things That Matter
This hotel really went above and beyond. The staff? They were genuinely warm, helpful, and professional. The concierge was excellent, the doorman was very friendly, and there was a front desk [24-hour]. There was a gift/souvenir shop, which gave me the opportunity to pick up a few souvenirs. The attention to detail was impressive. The Air conditioning in public area came on whenever, and facilities for disabled guests were in place throughout the area. They have a car park [free of charge] and you can get car power charging station. They even had extras, such as a convenience store. They also have a safe dining setup.
The Quirks and Imperfections (because perfection is boring)
Okay, so I’m obligated to be honest, and there are some little things that, had I known beforehand, could have improved my experience. The location is fantastic, but getting around can be tough, especially with Getting around which consists of things like airport transfer and taxi service. The internet, even with the Wi-Fi [free] could be spotty in a few of the areas, especially in the distant reaches of the grounds, which can be frustrating if you rely on it for work. And did I mention the hot water hiccup? It’s not a deal-breaker, but it's worth noting.
The Verdict: Should You Go?
Absolutely. Misty Mountain Lodge isn't just a hotel; it's an experience. It's a place to disconnect, reconnect with nature, and pamper yourself. It's a place where you can breathe, relax, and feel utterly… at peace.
The Honest-to-Goodness Imperfection
Misty Mountain Lodge isn't flawless. No place is. But what it does have is soul. It has heart. It has the kind of staff who genuinely care. And it has, without a doubt, one of the most stunning views in the world.
The Irresistible Offer: Book Your Escape to Paradise!
Are you ready to escape the everyday and immerse yourself in the breathtaking beauty of Mount Kenya? Escape to Paradise: Misty Mountain Lodge invites you to experience an unforgettable getaway.
Here's What You Get:
- Breathtaking views: Witness the majesty of Mount

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your average, sterile travel log. This is my brain, post-adventures, still processing the utter, glorious mayhem that was Misty Mountain Lodge in Naro Moru, Kenya. Prepare for a ride as bumpy as the road to get there (seriously, hold onto your hats).
Misty Mountain Mayhem: A Diary of Delights and Disaster
Day 1: Arrival and Awkward Introductions (and a near-death experience with a mosquito)
- Morning (God, did I sleep?): Arrived at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. Flights are a blur of stale air and questionable airline food. Decided to ditch the planned "sophisticated travel outfit" for something that actually breathes. Comfort over couture, every damn time. The drive to Naro Moru…well, let's just say my internal monologue was mostly screaming, "Are we there yet?" at the poor driver.
- Afternoon (Misty Mountain Magic…Kinda): Finally! Misty Mountain Lodge. And…whoa. The view. Just…stop it. You get this insane panorama of Mount Kenya staring right back at you. It punched me in the gut. Seriously, I swear I gasped. The lodge itself? Rustic. Charming. Slightly…crumbling in places (like, a very slight creak in the floorboards in my room).
- Evening (Mosquito Meltdown): Dinner in the communal dining area. Met a bunch of other hikers, all pumped for the summit. I felt…underprepared. And then, as I was trying to politely decline the third helping of ugali (it's…an acquired taste, shall we say), a mosquito the size of a small Cessna decided my ankle was prime real estate. The ensuing swatting session? Pure, unadulterated, flailing idiocy. I lost. The little devil won. Lesson learned: bring the industrial-strength DEET next time.
Day 2: The Hike That (Almost) Broke Me (in a Good Way)
- Morning (Altitude and Attitude): Woke up feeling…well, like I'd run a marathon while simultaneously being hit by a bus. The altitude. It’s a beast. The hike started gently enough. Chirping birds, lush greenery, the promise of amazing views. I was feeling smug, actually. "Pah, the mountain? Easy peasy!" Famous last words.
- Afternoon (The Struggle is Real): The trail turned…up. And then up some more. And then basically vertical. I began to resemble a wheezing, slightly demented goat. My legs felt like lead. My lungs felt like they were trying to escape my ribcage. I started questioning all my life choices. Did I really need that extra slice of pizza last week? Was it worth it? Probably not.
- Evening (Summit's Delight): But! We made it. To the point where we could see the summit! The sheer, breathtaking beauty of the mountain in what was a truly awesome hike. The entire struggle, the burning muscles, the feeling that my head was going to explode…all worth it. Like, completely worth it. Saw a glorious sunset! The descent was its own special kind of hell, but every aching muscle was singing a song.
- Post-Hike (Food Coma): Back at the Lodge? Devoured a plate of food big enough to feed a small village. Probably made the ugali taste better. Collapsed into bed. Slept. Like the dead.
Day 3: Waterfall Wonders and Birdwatching Blowouts
- Morning (So Much Water): After the previous days of hiking, a day spent simply walking through the lodge's property was bliss. A quick dip in the hotel pool and some time just lazing about in the hotel's grounds helped me relax enough to be thankful again. The waterfalls. Stunning. Took a million photos. Feel like a photographer now.
- Afternoon (Birdbrain): Obsessed. That is all. I spent a solid two hours with my binoculars, trying to identify some insanely colorful birds. Ended up mistaking a very common sunbird for a rare African emerald jewel-thrush. I'm a disgrace to the birdwatching community. But hey, the colours were mesmerizing.
- Evening (Campfire Conversations): The lodge has a campfire every evening. And the stories! Hilarious tales of misadventures on the mountain. One guy told us about the time he lost his dentures in a snowdrift (I kid you not). The camaraderie was just…wonderful.
Day 4: Packing Pains and Departures… with a side of wistful regret
- Morning (The Great Packing Debacle): Packing. My kryptonite. Always. Spent an hour frantically trying to cram everything back into my bag. Managed to break a zip and discover a rogue, unwashed sock. Graceful, right?
- Afternoon (The Goodbye Blues): Saying goodbye to Misty Mountain Lodge was harder than I expected. I'd grown used to the mismatched furniture, the friendly staff, the mountain views that stole my breath away. The sense of community there was just pure magic. The drive back to the airport was silent, filled with a weird sense of emptiness.
- Evening (Homeward Bound…and Dreaming): Back at the hotel, and already craving that ugali (don't tell anyone). Kenya, you magnificent, chaotic, beautiful mess. I'll be back. And next time, I'm bringing industrial-strength mosquito repellent and a better camera. And maybe, just maybe, I'll try the summit again. Wish me luck.
Final Thoughts (or, the Rambling Aftermath):
Misty Mountain Lodge isn't just a place; it's an experience. It's about the breathtaking views, the challenging hikes, the warm people, the weird food, and yes, even the mosquitos. It's messy, and sometimes uncomfortable, and constantly surprising. It's a place that sticks with you. A place that, even with its imperfections, I wouldn't trade for anything. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go look up "sunbird identification" on the internet. Just in case.
Unbelievable Nanjing Luxury: Starway Hotel's Secret Oasis!
Okay, spill the tea: Is Misty Mountain Lodge *really* worth the hype, or is it just a bunch of Instagram filters and overpriced tea?
Can I *actually* "escape" to the wilderness? Is it truly remote, or is it just a fancy hotel with a mountain view?
The reviews mention the food... is it really as spectacular as everyone claims? Because let’s be real, hotel food can be a dicey proposition.
What's the deal with the activities? Are they all expensive tourist traps, or are there genuinely cool things to do?
Okay, the elephant in the room: Is the staff friendly? I've heard horror stories about hotels with surly service.
What's the one thing you wish you'd known *before* going? The secret insider tip, if you will!

