
Hanoi's Hidden Gem: Van Anh Hotel - Unbeatable Luxury Awaits!
Hanoi's Hidden Gem: Van Anh Hotel - Unbeatable Luxury Awaits! (Or Does It?) A Seriously Honest Review
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to unleash a brutally honest, no-holds-barred review of the Van Anh Hotel in Hanoi. Forget those perfectly polished, corporate-speak travel blogs. This is the real deal, the warts-and-all, "did I actually like this place?" breakdown. And let me tell you, it's a rollercoaster.
First Impressions: The Grand Entrance (and a Slight Hiccup)
The "Unbeatable Luxury Awaits!" tagline is…aspirational. Let’s just say I wouldn’t quite go that far. Arriving, the facade is certainly impressive. Grand, almost imposing. The doorman, however, appeared less "welcoming committee" and more "slightly bored bystander." But hey, it was late, and I'd wrestled a suitcase the size of a small car from the airport. I’m not going to judge too harshly.
Accessibility: Navigating the Labyrinth (or Not)
Alright, let's talk accessibility. This is important. They say they have facilities for disabled guests. The elevator situation is decent, but the hallways… well, they're definitely not designed for a leisurely roll. Think narrow, with some… questionable angles. (Facilities for disabled guests, Elevator). I'm awarding a solid "C+" here. Room for improvement, Van Anh!
The Digital Age: Wi-Fi and the Internet Abyss
Thank God for the Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Seriously. This is 2024. If a hotel doesn't have decent Wi-Fi, I'm out. And Van Anh, mostly, delivers. It's not blazing fast, but it's reliable enough to update my Instagram with those mandatory travel shots. (Internet access, Internet access – wireless, Internet [LAN], Internet services, Wi-Fi in public areas). There's even a LAN connection, which, frankly, feels like a relic from the dial-up era, but hey, options!
The Room: Sanctuary or… Slightly Over-the-Top?
My room? Well, it was… a lot. (Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens, Additional toilet). Picture this: a king-sized bed, a bathtub bigger than my entire apartment back home, and more pillows than I knew what to do with. (Extra long bed) The decor felt slightly… opulent. A bit much, to be honest. Like, I was expecting a crown and a royal decree. But hey, it was clean, the blackout curtains were a lifesaver (jet lag is a beast), and the complimentary tea selection was surprisingly good. (Free bottled water).
Cleanliness and Safety: Can You Really Ever Feel Safe?
Let's be real. Travel in a post-pandemic world comes with a whole new level of neuroticism. The Van Anh tries. (Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment). They've got hand sanitizer everywhere, and the staff seemed to be taking things seriously. They also had a doctor/nurse on call! I didn't need it (thankfully), but it's good to know. The safe box gave a sense of mind at least. But it can't completely replace a sense of safety. The CCTV in common areas and outside the property gave a sense of peace.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Culinary Adventure (Mostly)
Okay, the food. This is where things get… interesting. (A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant). The breakfast buffet was… abundant. Perhaps too abundant. An absolute avalanche of food. The Asian breakfast was a highlight, thankfully. The Pho was actually quite good. The Western breakfast was okay, though nothing to write home about. The coffee? Let's just say it wasn't the best I've ever had. The Poolside bar was a nice touch, though. Especially when it started with a Happy hour. I may have indulged in a few cocktails… for research, of course.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax: The Spa, the Sauna, the Pool… Oh My!
This is where Van Anh really shines. (Body scrub, Body wrap, Fitness center, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]). The (Pool with view) is stunning—a glistening oasis overlooking the city (though, honestly, the view wasn't that impressive, it was still a big plus). The spa was legit. Not just a token spa, but a genuine, relax-into-oblivion kind of spa. I splurged on a massage, and it was heavenly. The gym was decent, if a little small. (Fitness center) the Sauna, Steamroom were a big plus too.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter
They offer a bunch of services. (Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center). The daily housekeeping was impeccable. The concierge was helpful, though sometimes took a while to materialize. The currency exchange was handy.
The Quirks & the Annoyances:
- The elevator sometimes felt like it was contemplating early retirement.
- The room key card loved to randomly fail.
- The noise from the street… well, it's Hanoi. Embrace the chaos.
- The proposal spot? I'm not sure if they have one, but it would be very romantic.
For the Kids!
(Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal). I didn't travel with kids, but I did see evidence this is a family/child friendly environment. There was a play area and some kid friendly features.
Check-in/out [express], Check-in/out [private] These features are available too!
Getting Around
You can enjoy a Car park [free of charge] or Car park [on-site] for your own. Enjoy the Airport transfer too.
The Verdict:
Van Anh Hotel? It's not perfect. It has some quirks, some minor flaws, and it definitely leans a little too hard into the "luxury" thing. But… it's a good hotel. A very good hotel. The service is generally excellent, the spa is amazing, and the location is convenient. It's a solid choice for a comfortable and relaxing stay in Hanoi.
Final Grade: B+ (Room for improvement, but overall, a positive experience.)
The Imperfect Perfect Offer: Escape to Van Anh Hotel – Your Hanoi Haven Awaits!
Forget generic hotel stays! At Van Anh Hotel, you're not just getting a room, you're getting an entire experience. Yes, we might be a little OTT, and some details aren't completely perfect, but we are a hidden gem. That's the point!
Here's what you'll get (and why you'll love it):
- Unwind in style: Sink into a king-sized bed

Van Anh Hotel, Hanoi: A Hot Mess Itinerary (with a dash of sanity)
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your perfectly manicured, #blessed Instagram travel diary. This is real – the sticky-fingered, mosquito-bitten, "did I just accidentally eat a bug?" version. We're in Hanoi, at the blessedly air-conditioned (thank god) Van Anh Hotel. Prepare for a schedule that’s less iron-clad and more… well, bendy.
Day 1: Arrival and the Great Pho Quest (aka, Trying Not to Die in Traffic)
- 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM: Arrival & Reality Check. Arrive at Noi Bai International Airport (HAN). The visa process? A blur of stress and sweaty palms. Seriously, I swear the immigration officer was judging my passport photo. Anyway, successfully navigated the chaos, and hopped in a pre-booked taxi. The drive into Hanoi was… a baptism by fire. Motorbikes! Everywhere! Like a swarm of angry bees armed with horns and questionable driving skills. My knuckles were white, clutching my phone, constantly thinking, “Okay, is this the end?” But hey, we made it. Van Anh Hotel, here we come!
- 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Hotel Debrief & Room Assessment. Check-in was smooth. The lobby smelled vaguely of incense and something else I couldn't quite place (maybe… happiness?). Got the key. Room: Clean. Air-con: Functional. Bed: Appealing. The little balcony? Promising for an evening beer. The only downside? No elevator. Fifth floor, here I come! Note to self: pack lighter next time.
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: The Pho Hunt Commences! Okay, the hunger pangs were real. My mission: find the perfect bowl of Pho. The internet said "Pho 10 Ly Quoc Su." So, off I went! Getting there involved dodging traffic (still a heart-stopping experience), navigating narrow alleys, and trying to look like I knew where I was going. I looked like a lost sheep.
- 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM: Pho Verdict - Success! (Mostly) Found the place! Packed, bustling, and smelled AMAZING. The Pho was… extraordinary. The broth? Deep, rich, almost spiritual. The noodles? Silky perfection. The meat? Tender. The price? ridiculously cheap. I actually did it. I conquered Pho 10. The first bite made me forget all my travel anxieties. I even almost forgot I nearly got run over by a scooter.
- 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM: Rest & Recharge. Stumbled back to the hotel, stuffed and slightly delirious. Spent an hour recovering from the Pho coma (and the traffic trauma). Napped. Bliss.
- 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Wandering the Old Quarter (and Maybe Regretting it a Little). Venture back out into the madness. The Old Quarter is… intense. Street vendors yelling, motorbikes buzzing, the air thick with the smell of delicious things (and, let’s be honest, a bit of exhaust fumes). Visited Hoan Kiem Lake (beautiful, calm, and a welcome respite from the chaos.) Found a tiny, hidden café for a ca phe sua da (Vietnamese coffee with condensed milk) - sweet, strong, and necessary.
- 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM: The "Almost Ate a Bug" Incident. Okay, this is where things got weird. Wandering through a food market. Saw a vendor selling… exotic looking snacks. Curiosity got the better of me. Bought a stick of something crunchy, deep fried, and… well, I’m not entirely sure what it was. Ate the first bite. Tasted… okay? Then, I saw the tiny legs. And realized… I'd almost eaten a bug. Not my finest moment. I immediately spat it out. Moral of the story? Ask questions before you eat something you can't identify.
- 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM: Dinner & Beer on the Balcony. Found a restaurant with outdoor seating and ordered some banh mi (delicious Vietnamese sandwich) and a bia hoi (local draft beer… cheap and cheerful). The beer on my balcony, watching the city lights twinkle, was the perfect way to call it a night.
- 8:00 PM onwards: Stare at the ceiling and plan, and plan about the next day.
Day 2: History, Water Puppets, and the Art of Bartering (and Maybe Another Pho Attempt)
- 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM: Breakfast at the Hotel & Strategic Planning. The hotel breakfast was… basic. But the coffee was actually pretty decent, so I can't complain too much. Planning today's agenda. Trying to balance sightseeing and avoiding overwhelming myself.
- 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Temple of Literature & Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum (Respectful Staring). Hired a Grab (thank heavens for Grab) to the Temple of Literature. It was beautiful, peaceful, steeped in history. Feeling somewhat cultured. Then, off to Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum. The queue was insane, the atmosphere reverent. Didn't try and see inside. Just kept my distance (it was intimidating).
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Lunch & The Almost-Meltdown. Finding lunch was a struggle. Everything was either too crowded or closed. My patience wearing thin. Had a terrible craving for something familiar. Found a place with pizza. I feel like a failure.
- 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM: Water Puppet Theatre - A Delightfully Weird Spectacle. Finally, something I could completely get into. The Water Puppet Theatre was… amazing. Puppets dancing on water, a live orchestra, a story I didn't entirely understand but it was captivating. The sheer craftsmanship was impressive. My favorite was the dragon, spitting fire.
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Souvenir Shopping & The Art of the Haggle. Headed back to the Old Quarter to face the onslaught of souvenir stalls. My haggling skills? Pathetic. I can't argue for my life. But I managed to snag a few things. Maybe paid too much. Oh well.
- 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Relaxing Time. Time for a drink and some chill time.
- 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM: Street Food Adventure & The Second Pho Quest (and Success!) This time, I'm determined! I'm armed with online reviews and a steely gaze. The streets were buzzing. Found a tiny, unassuming stall. Pho was amazing. Better than the first, even. Seriously. I might have cried a little bit. Okay, maybe I did. This time no bugs were harmed in the making of the meal.
- 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM: Dinner & Stumbling Upon a Local Music Festival. While wandering the streets, I overheard some music. I followed it, and suddenly I was at a local music festival, with Vietnamese musicians I've never heard of playing. It was a beautiful night.
- 8:00 PM onwards: Bed.
Day 3: Day Trip to Ha Long Bay (Chaos with a View) & The Reality of Packing
- 6:00 AM: Wake up and Get Ready! It's gonna be an early day! So, I set my alarm to make sure I don't miss the tour.
- 6:30 AM - 7:00 AM: Breakfast, but rushed! I quickly eat my breakfast before the tour bus comes.
- 7:00 AM: The Great Escape! The hotel lobby turns into the pick-up point for the Ha Long Bay tour.
- 7:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Travel to Ha Long Bay. What a long drive, but I took a nap.
- 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Ha Long Bay - A sight to behold I was shocked at how beautiful it was. Everyone was taking pictures and taking it all in.
- 6:00 PM - 11:00 PM: Returning back to the hotel.
- 11:00 PM - Packing Time! The most stressful part of the trip, no matter how many times I travel. It's never easy! So, I'm trying to pack as quick as I can before the flight tomorrow.
Day 4: Departure (and the inevitable feeling of "I need to come back!")
- 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM: Breakfast. Final hotel breakfast. Trying to savor every last bite of the coffee.
- 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM: Last-Minute Souvenir Shopping. Realized I forgot to buy gifts for my family. Ran out to a nearby shop. Panicked. Made some frantic purchases

Van Anh Hotel: Hanoi's Hidden Gem (But Seriously, Hidden!) - Your Burning Questions Answered (Maybe)
Okay, Okay, So What *Exactly* Makes Van Anh Hotel "Unbeatable Luxury"? Is it REALLY?
Where *IS* This Place Actually Located? Because "Hidden Gem" Sounds Like I'll Be Wandering Around Lost for Hours.
The Rooms: Are They As Good As They Sound? And What About the View? (Or lack thereof?)
Food, Glorious Food! Does Van Anh Hotel Do Breakfast Right? I'm Asking The Important Questions Here.
Is There a Pool? Because, you know, HEAT. And Relaxation.
The Staff: I've Heard They're Nice. But are they *Actually* helpful? And Do They Speak English Decently?
Okay, Okay, Let's Talk Price. Is This "Unbeatable Luxury" Going to Break the Bank?
Anything I Should Be Aware of BEFORE I Book? Any Hidden Quirks or Annoyances?

