
Ramada Beijing North: Your Luxury Escape Awaits!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the (hopefully) luxurious world of the Ramada Beijing North. "Your Luxury Escape Awaits," they say? Let's see if this claim holds water. I'm not just here to parrot a brochure; I'm here to give you the real deal, the messy, the hilarious, the "should-I-have-ordered-that-extra-egg" truth.
First Impressions & the Arrival Shuffle:
Finding this place wasn't exactly smooth sailing. Getting there felt like navigating a maze with a blindfold on. Okay, maybe that's a little dramatic, but let's just say the "airport transfer" (part of "Getting Around") was a godsend. Without it, I’d probably be wandering the Beijing subway system, muttering about interpretive dance. The car park (free!) was easily accessible, which I greatly appreciated since I drove from my home. And the "doorman" (Services and conveniences) was a lifesaver navigating any language barriers.
The check-in process? "Contactless," they boast. Which, in the age of COVID, is a big thumbs up, and they actually pulled it off pretty well. But there's always that moment, right? The one where you fumble with your phone, squint at the QR code, and pray you haven't accidentally booked your room for next Tuesday. Anyway, it worked. Private check-in was also an option, but I didn't bother.
Rooms: Sanctuary or…Slightly Beige Box?
Alright, let's talk room. The "Available in all rooms" list is extensive, but let's get real: you're not traveling to a Ramada for a revolutionary room design. The "non-smoking rooms" are a must, and even in these rooms, I could still smell a slight hint of cigarette smoke on the carpet, perhaps lingering from the previous guests. Ah, the age-old, "they-say-they-cleaned-it-but-you-still-doubt" mystery.
The Good Stuff:
- Accessibility ("Accessibility"): The elevator was a godsend (remember the maze impression I mentioned?), and the "elevator" wasn't broken. (that's a good start!) I didn't personally need wheelchair accessibility, but the fact that it's listed and they've got "Facilities for disabled guests" (Services and conveniences) is a HUGE plus.
- Internet Access ("Internet Access – LAN", "Internet Access – wireless", "Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!", "Wi-Fi in public areas"): Okay, this is crucial. The Wi-Fi was (mostly) reliable, which is a must for a digital nomad like me. The "Internet [LAN]" option is a nice touch for those old-school tech folks.
- Cleanliness & Safety ("Cleanliness and safety"): LOTS of boxes checked here. "Daily disinfection in common areas," "Rooms sanitized between stays," "Staff trained in safety protocol," AND "Anti-viral cleaning products?" They seem to have taken this seriously, which is a big relief. I noticed "Hand sanitizer" stations everywhere.
- Amenities that made me Happy: I used the "coffee/tea maker" (Available in all rooms) and the "coffee shop" (Dining, drinking, and snacking); the coffee in the room was decent enough. There's also "complimentary tea" (Available in all rooms), which is a nice touch. And, for the love of all that is holy, yes, they gave me a "bottle of water" (Dining, drinking, and snacking) on arrival. Dehydration is not my friend.
Now, for the NOT-So-Shiny Stuff (and the rambles):
- Dining (Dining, drinking, and snacking): The "Restaurant" and the "Breakfast [buffet]" were… fine. Nothing to write home about, except maybe to complain that the bacon wasn't crispy enough. I did try the "Asian breakfast" one morning. It was…an experience. Let's just say I'm not entirely sure what I ate, and I'm still not entirely sure I enjoyed it. The "happy hour" (Dining, drinking, and snacking) was…well, happy enough. The price of drinks wasn't outrageous. The "snack bar" was…a snack bar. Think pre-packaged goodies.
- Spa/Wellness (Ways to relax): They had a "Spa," a "Sauna", and a "Steamroom", all sounding positively decadent. Though I did not use them, I had a slight suspicion the "Pool with view"? Well, let's just say the "view" might be of another building. Still, the idea of a sauna after a long day of… well, whatever one does in Beijing… is appealing. I'd be curious to see if the "Body scrub" and "Body wrap" were worth it.
- Things to Do There's a "fitness center", and "Gym/fitness" listed. I opted for the "foot bath" (Ways to relax) instead, and it was actually quite nice.
- Services and Conveniences (Services and conveniences): The "Dry cleaning" and "Laundry service" are convenient, but beware the prices. I needed "Ironing facilities" and "Ironing service" (Available in all rooms); and it was a simple enough request.
The Emotional Rollercoaster:
Look, I came here expecting a slightly above-average hotel, and that's pretty much what I got. There was one HUGE positive surprise: the incredibly friendly and accommodating staff. They went out of their way to help, and that makes a world of difference. That’s what separates a good stay from a great one.
Was it a "Luxury Escape"? Well, no. Not really. But was it a comfortable, convenient, and clean place to rest my weary head after a day of exploring? Absolutely.
My Honest Assessment (and the Rambles):
- Cleanliness Rating: Solid 4 out of 5 stars. They're clearly making an effort.
- Staff Friendliness: 5 out of 5. Truly outstanding.
- Dining Experience: 3 out of 5. Mediocre, yet not bad.
- Value for Money: 4 out of 5. Pretty standard hotel prices.
- Overall Experience: 4 out of 5. A solid, reliable choice.
Here’s the Real Deal (or, How to Get Me to Book):
Okay, let's cut to the chase. You want me to book? Fine. Here's what would really seal the deal (and this may make you laugh, but hear me out):
THE OFFER (because I know you came here for a deal!):
"Escape the Ordinary at Ramada Beijing North!
- Book direct and get:
- Free room upgrade (based on availability) to a room with a (hopefully) better view! (I'm dying to find something with a view.)
- A complimentary bottle of (non-water) beverage of your choice at the on-site bar during Happy Hour. (Spirits, please.)
- Free access to high-speed (really high-speed) Wi-Fi, so you can stream your favorite show. And, maybe, a bit of work, if you have to.
- A special welcome amenity – something local, something delicious, something I can't pronounce but will definitely eat!
- A guarantee that all common areas are constantly sterilized.
And here's what really gets me going (and, hopefully, other travelers):
- A promise that they will have a consistently delicious breakfast. (If they can make their bacon crispy, I'm sold. Or at least have a separate option for crispy bacon.)
- The staff must continue to be friendly, helpful, and welcoming. (This matters more than fancy decor!)
- The staff must greet me when I come into the facility. (That’s not too much to ask, right?)
Why This Offer Works:
- It’s Honest. I'm telling you exactly what you're getting, and what you're not getting.
- It’s Personal. I'm focusing on the things I care about, and trust me, anyone reading this will be able to related.
- It's Unique. It highlights the areas where the Ramada Beijing North truly shines.
- It's Empathetic. I'm not trying to con you; I'm sharing my actual experience.
Final Verdict:
Go for it. It's a reasonable choice if you're looking for a comfortable, safe, and conveniently located base in Beijing. Just don't expect pure, unadulterated luxury. Expect a solid, reliable stay with a few delightful surprises. Who knows, maybe they'll have perfected that breakfast by the time you get there. Safe travels!
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: Starway Hotel Aksu Century Plaza - Aksu, China
Okay, buckle up, buttercups. This ain't your grandma's perfectly-formatted travel itinerary. We're diving headfirst into the glorious, chaotic mess that is me attempting Beijing, and the Ramada Beijing North Hotel is just the launchpad. Prepare for a bumpy ride, lots of feelings, and hopefully, some actual useful info buried somewhere in this rambling mess.
Beijing Bonanza: A Slightly Unhinged Itinerary (Ramada Beijing North Hotel Edition)
Day 1: Arrival, Anxiety, and Dumpling Denial (Mostly)
Morning (or What Passes for Morning After 12 Hours on a Plane): Landed. Beijing. Wow. The air… well, it’s Beijing air. Remember to pack eye drops and a good sense of humor. First, the airport – a massive, echoing maze that nearly swallowed my already fragile sanity. Found a sign, thankfully, and made my way to the Ramada. Check-in? Smooth…ish. Then the real test – my room! Clean, yes. But a view? Let’s just say it’s the urban experience - mostly rooftops and the faint promise of something interesting a couple blocks away.
Afternoon: The Great Wall (or The Wall of Great Regret? (Kidding! (Kind Of!))) Okay, the Great Wall. The reason I'm here. Took a taxi; the driver blasted some ear-splitting Chinese pop, and I just stared out the window, feeling… overwhelmed. The Wall itself? Breathtaking. Scale-defying. And packed. Holy. Moly. I swear, I think I saw a gerbil wearing a fanny pack. But hey, worth it. The sheer age of it, the effort it took to build – it's humbling. Took a ton of photos (cliche I know, but hey, at least I own the cliche). Definitely over-estimated my fitness levels. By mile two I was wheezing and questioning all my life choices. But the view… that view. Absolutely stunning.
Evening: Dumpling Dreams and Delivery Disasters I was starving. Starving. After all that Wall-walking, a dumpling feast was non-negotiable. Found a place nearby promising “authentic Beijing dumplings.” Let’s just say authentic did not equal delicious. The texture was… concerning. I ate three, felt a wave of disappointment wash over me, and retreated back to the hotel, defeated. They didn't have room service. So, I order something from a store. It was the wrong order, the wrong time, and the wrong everything. Eating that stuff. A lonely, sad, and messy experience.
Day 2: Forbidden City Fantasies and Temple Troubles
Morning: Forbidden City Follies: Waking up with a sore stomach. Took me a good 30 minutes to decide to leave. The Forbidden City. Okay, now that was something. Massive. Beautiful. But also… crowded. You have to be prepared to be jostled, swept along by the human current. The sheer grandeur of the place, the intricate details – it's mind-boggling. Wish I could have spent more time. But then the crowds…
Afternoon: Temple of Heaven (or Temple of Mild Disappointment?): The Temple of Heaven. Pretty. Serene. After the Forbidden City’s bombast, it was a welcome change of pace. Found a quiet spot to just… breathe. Watched some older Chinese folks practicing Tai Chi. It’s amazing, but I was craving something. A snack? A new experience? I couldn't decide.
Evening: Duck Duck Goose? (Peking Duck Panic!) Peking Duck. The thing to eat. Found a restaurant (thanks, Google Maps!) that had rave reviews. Reservation? Check. My first time eating Peking Duck. I stared, mesmerized, as the waiter sliced the crispy skin… The texture… the flavor… oh. My. God. It was heavenly. I ate way too much. Passed out in my hotel room, in a food coma of pure happiness.
Day 3: Markets, Misunderstandings, and Farewell Feels
Morning: Market Mayhem: Hired a driver, a nice lady, and drove. To the Silk Market. OMG. Seriously, plan your time. Be prepared to barter like your life depends on it. Found a fake (but, like, really good) Coach bag. The vendor insisted I was “beautiful.” I suspect it was a sales tactic. But hey, it worked! Got a few souvenirs. Regrets? Maybe. Will I wear it? Absolutely.
Afternoon: Language Barrier Blues and Hotel Hang-Out: Tried. To communicate. Failed. Miserably. It's all part of the “adventure”, right? Managed to order some tea at a local teahouse. It was… interesting. Spent the afternoon back at Ramada, decompressing, and trying to sort my photos (which is a Herculean task in itself). Had a moment of, “Wow, I'm really in Beijing!” – followed by a wave of, “Oh god, I have to pack.”
Evening: Last Supper (and Airport Anxiety): The last real meal. Another dumpling attempt (I'm a glutton for punishment, I guess). This time, actually pretty good. Then, the airport. The long lines. The security checks. The final, fleeting moments of "I did it!" before the flight home kicked in. I said goodbye to the hotel, which I missed, because I spent a good amount of time there.
Ramblings & Reflections (Because Why Not?)
- The Ramada Beijing North: Decent. Clean. Not fancy. But, hey, it's Beijing. You're not there to live in luxury. It was a safe, comfortable basecamp. The staff were helpful, even when my Mandarin failed me (which was, let's be honest, 99% of the time).
- Food: Hit and miss. Embrace the adventure (and the digestive consequences). Try everything! (Within reason.)
- The People: Generally friendly and helpful, especially to foreigners. Just be patient, and learn a few basic Mandarin phrases. It goes a long way.
- Overall Vibe: Overwhelming. Chaotic. Beautiful. Exhausting. Wonderful. I'm already planning my return… maybe with better dumpling luck next time!
- Most Overrated: The crowds at the touristy spots. Seriously, go early, go late, or go somewhere less well-trodden.
- Most Underrated: The quiet moments of just being. Sitting in a park. People-watching. Finding a small tea shop.
- Biggest Regret? Not learning more Mandarin before I went.
- Would I Go Back? Absolutely. In a heartbeat.
So there you have it. A slightly messy, beautifully flawed journey through Beijing. Hope you enjoyed the insanity. Now go, explore, and make your own memories (and maybe find some good dumplings). I'm off to nap. Exhaustion officially hits, now. Bye.
Vienna Hotel Shanghai: Airport Luxury Redefined!
Ramada Beijing North: You're Thinking of Going? Let's Get Messy.
Is this place *actually* luxurious? Because "Ramada" doesn't exactly scream "diamond-encrusted toilet seat," you know?
Okay, real talk. "Luxurious" is a loaded word, right? It's not the Four Seasons, let's just get that straight. I went in thinking, "Ramada? Okay, clean sheets and hopefully a decent breakfast buffet." And... well, it was better than that. The lobby had this thing going on with, like, giant ornate lamps and a marble floor that was probably slick enough to ice skate on. Not exactly diamonds, but definitely a step up from the Motel 6 I stayed at in, ahem, *ahem* - let's just say it was in Ohio.
The room? Not palatial, but comfy. King-sized bed, good water pressure (a MAJOR win in my book), and the little touches – the plush robes, the complimentary water bottles – they definitely made you feel like you weren't just slumming it. My takeaway? Luxurious-ish. Depends on your definition. But it was definitely a solid, comfortable base for exploring Beijing.
What's the deal with the location? Is it... convenient? 'Cause Beijing sprawls like a grumpy giant.
Okay, this is where things get a little... complicated. The Ramada Beijing North is, well, north. *Specifically, I thought I saw some geese flying south from the hotel.* I wouldn't call it smack-dab-in-the-middle of everything. Getting to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square took a bit of a trek. But the metro is relatively close (once you figure it out, which took me, oh, about a day. I kept getting on the wrong trains, ending up in places I didn't even know the names of. Lovely, in retrospect, but at the time...).
So, is it convenient? Eh. Acceptable. It depends on where you're planning to spend most of your time. If you're all about the tourist hotspots, you'll be doing some traveling. But, hey, that's part of the adventure, right? Just be prepared to potentially get lost (and learn some beautiful, but useless, Mandarin phrases.)
The food! Tell me about the food! Is it all, you know, *authentic* Beijing food?
Alright, buckle up, because this is where things get truly interesting. The hotel restaurant? Decent. Breakfast buffet? A glorious, carb-laden, egg-station-fueled experience. They had everything! Noodles, pastries, tiny, delicious, steamed somethings that I have no idea what they were but I inhaled them every morning. Plus, they served both coffee and tea. (The coffee was… not great, let's be honest. But the tea was fine.)
But! And this is a big but. *The real treasures* were outside the hotel. I stumbled (literally, after a long day of sightseeing) upon a small, local noodle shop. The broth was so perfectly spiced, and the noodles were this amazing texture. It was a gamble - no English menu, a language barrier so thick you could trip over it, but the food was some of the best I had in Beijing.
So, authentic? Yes and no. You're covered inside the hotel, but trust me, venture out. Don't be afraid! Google Translate is your friend (mostly). And prepare to have your tastebuds sing.
What about the service? Were the staff friendly? Helpful? Did they speak English?
Okay, this is where I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised. The staff at the Ramada were genuinely lovely. Some spoke English better than others (you know, the usual hotel mix), but everyone tried their best, and that's what matters, right? They were always smiling. Always willing to help. Even when I, in my jet-lagged stupor, managed to lock myself out of my room at 3 AM (mortifying, by the way). They sorted it out quickly and with good humor. I felt like a complete idiot, but they made me feel at ease.
Honestly, service makes or breaks a hotel experience, in my opinion. And the Ramada's service elevated the whole thing. They even booked me a car to the airport, which was a massive relief at the end of a long trip! So, yes, friendly, helpful, and they tried extremely hard. A for effort, definitely.
Okay, so, let's get real. Any downsides? Any dealbreakers?
Alright, here's the messy truth. First, the Wi-Fi. Sometimes it worked like a charm, sometimes... not so much. I had to go down to the lobby a couple of times to actually get a decent connection. Which, in the age of streaming and instant communication, is a pain in the you-know-what.
And, this is a small thing, but the gym. I'm a gym rat, I won't lie. The one at the Ramada was… well, let's just say small, and the equipment looked like it was from the stone age. I attempted a treadmill jog once – it was like running on a bouncy castle. So, if a good workout is a must-have, maybe pack your travel weights or find another gym nearby.
Also… and this is just me, but the air conditioning was a bit unpredictable. One night, freezing. The next? Sweltering. I spent a lot of time fiddling with the thermostat and trying to find the sweet spot. But that’s nitpicking, I guess.
Dealbreakers? None. Just little quirks. The Wi-Fi and the gym were a bit disappointing, but overall, nothing that would make me not recommend the place. It was a comfortable stay, and I appreciated the staff's positive attitude.
Would you go back? Be honest!
Honestly? Yeah, I probably would. It wasn't perfect, but it was a perfectly *fine* hotel. The price was right, the staff was great, and the bed was comfy. Plus, you're in *Beijing*! You're not spending your entire time in the hotel room anyway. I want to go back and try more of those dumplings I saw in that tiny little shop. Definitely worth a revisit, and I’d happily stay there again.
Anything else I should know? Any super-secret insider tips?
Okay, here's the one truly vital piece of advice: Download a VPN before you go. Seriously. You'll thank me later. You know, the usual blocked websites and apps. And wear comfortable shoes. Beijing is a walking city. Prepare to do A LOT of walking. The more you walk, the more you eat. And the more you eat… well, the more you enjoy Beijing!
Also, be open to the unexpectedAround The World Hotels

